Thursday, July 18, 2013

Going Up - Going Down.

Cactus actually is a plus on this next task.

Human Guide introduces the client to the navigation of stairs. Not much difference in taking the stairs using human guide or independently with the cane.  Well how Cactus and I take a stairs became a plus when I was under the blindfold and acting as the new client Ruth my partner followed the book and the correct technique and she paused at the top of the stairs, or at the bottom of the stairs.  Well it is good but it does not help me as the student to know is the stairs going up or down.

Now Cactus comes in when I was taking Ruth around Cactus and I got ready for going up the stairs in doing so because how I have to bend and also prepare myself with my left foot on the step this actually gave Ruth better clues to how the stairs were and where they were. I may have Dr. Kim and Dr. Wall Emerson's next research topic right here.  "The Importance of Human Guide Placement on Stairs."  Later when it was Ruth's turn to guide me again she started mimicking my actions with Cactus and it was an improvement to starting of a stair compared to what was is the accepted method in the book.

Next topic - Teaching Actual Cane Techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment